Sunday, December 12, 2010

Love Listens

I am learning so much about love, what it is, what it's not, and how much I don't understand the love that God intended us to have with someone. I thought that I understood what it was to love someone, sure it's like the movies right? You have butterflies when you're around them, just the sight of them sends your heart pounding, just hearing their voice makes it all better, isn't that the signs of love? Or is that what I have made love become just feelings, but.....can't those change? So I have immersed myself in studying the " Love Dare" and it's been so eye opening and something I was studying really touched me, "Love Listens"

Now many of you who have known me for years, or some of you I have just met in the last few years know that I am loud, energetic, always on the go, but sometimes I have a hard time listening to others. This verse impressed my heart, really stop and just read it and even place your name in the front of the verse.

" Understand this: everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger." James 1:19

I started to think about the relationships in my life with my family, friends, and my boyfriend I had to ask myself "Ruth, are you slow to anger?" Has there been a time that I responded in a short, angry way, or one that hurt someone I love? Many thoughts came to mind, situations I had faced, and I started thinking could I have handled them differently?

As I started this study I realized that how I respond reflects the condition of my heart. If I am angry because of unmet expectations or their hurtful words, I saw that I responded harshly. If I am to love then I must take time to listen patiently and give the other person consideration even if it is undeserved.

Love must become my motivation, few of us listen patiently and many it does not come naturally. It is however a necessary ingredient in a relationship. I started thinking how I can start to listen more? I thought I was a good listener, but I tend to just hear what I want to hear, and then it's my turn to speak my mind on the issue. So I have come up with a new way to approach it, I will listen patiently, not interrupt them, not talk over them, make sure they have said everything they wanted to share, and before I respond I need to let love lead.

This week I am going to challenge myself to show patience by saying nothing negative to my family, friends, and my boyfriend. It's better to hold my thoughts than to say something I will regret. Show me how to listen, that I may hear what the person is telling me and in my response let it be one of love.

Reminded that : "Love Listens"

No comments:

Post a Comment